Greater Manchester Chamber of Commerce is the largest accredited Chamber of Commerce in the UK, providing business support for over 4000 members who collectively employ over 350,000 workers. As an independent, not-for-profit private company it has a high reputation in government circles locally and nationally, and its aim is to support businesses and help create the best climate for the region to prosper. This is achieved by ensuring that those taking decisions on key issues such as transport, taxation and business regulation hear the voice of our members.
Chamber membership gives businesses access to everything from networking events to award-winning International trade services. Members can get advice and support on key business issues including HR, health, legal matters and export documentation. Key sectors such as Manufacturing & Engineering and Property & Construction are represented by their own dedicated groups.
Each local area also has its own Local Business Group and Local President to ensure their views are heard. Our Chamber Space meeting and events venue in the centre of Manchester can cater from everything from one-to-one meetings to large networking events.
Our Local Presidents form a key link between our members and central team. The role is about playing a key part in the local business community and being able to represent local views on what members want. Below are some of the main elements that our Presidents are involved with:
- They are seen and recognised as the lead Chamber member in their region and as a champion for local business, helping develop and grow the local business community.
- They chair local business group meetings and attend local networking events.
- They attend, and, by representing members’ views, take an active role at the quarterly Chamber Assembly and associated meetings.
- They attend any relevant local meetings that will help with the delivery of the role and further the development of the local business community.
- They identify potential vice-presidents, other supporters and new members of business groups.
- They identify and put forward ideas for events and campaigns.
Trafford Local Area President, Graham Dixon (Esprit Warehousing & Docks) talking about GMCC said: “Esprit has been a Greater Manchester Chamber member for approximately 7 years. Over these years our membership has provided us with a wealth of support across all aspects of business management, including recruitment, legislation, availability of funding and networking events. Membership has also allowed us to not only find out what local and national government is thinking and planning, but also gives us the opportunity to feedback into government what we are experiencing and what we need from them. I feel that’s important for businesses to be heard. When the Chamber asked me to become Trafford local President it was an easy decision, allowing me to become more involved at all levels, from local events and meeting local Trafford businesses to also attending strategy meetings and having a direct feed into Chamber responses.”
For more information on joining the Greater Manchester Chamber of Commerce please contact our team on: +44(0)161 393 4321 or email: Diane.ElebertMorgan@gmchamber.co.uk
or visit our website: gmchamber.co.uk